There’s snow on the ground and the temperature is hovering around zero. There’s no way around it – winter is here. Regular maintenance on your home can help make sure you get through the winter feeling warm and snug. Make sure you check that:
- Weather strips around doors and windows should be checked for possible air leaks.
- Caulking around windows and doors should seal out moisture and air leaks.
- Ductwork and supply lines from water heaters should be insulated.
- Fireplace chimneys should be cleaned regularly and fireplaces should be inspected for cracks in mortar and to see if the damper closes properly.
- Gutters should be free of leaves and debris to prevent rainwater build-up.
- Tree branches touching or hanging over your roof should be trimmed.
Some of these maintenance items will also help keep you save energy and reduce your heating costs so there’s an added bonus!